Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries

I got this recipe from Wholesome Toddler Food and use it all the time. I know it's probably a "no brainer" recipe to most people but I do best when given instructions so I thought I'd provide them in case someone out there is like me and needs a recipe to follow :)
  1.  Preheat oven to 400
  2. scrub sweet potatoes (they say 6 medium/large ones but I only use 1 or 2) clean and/or peel them if you don't think your child can handle the skins (Kye likes them so I leave them)
  3. Cut into sizes that will suit your need or cut into strips that you can cut down later (I do the strips)
  4. In a large bowl put 1/4 cup of olive oil and add cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar etc (I put both cinnamon and brown sugar)
  5. Toss the cut up sweet potatoes into the bowl and stir so they are drenched in the olive oil mix.
  6. Dump onto a baking sheet, drizzle remaining olive oil over potatoes on sheet 
  7. Stir and swirl potatoes on baking sheet before placing in oven
  8. bake 30-45 minutes or until tender (I do around 30)
The only thing I've changed about this is the whole bowl thing. Why mix it in a bowl then pour it on the baking sheet? I just do it all right on the baking sheet to save time and having the hassle of cleaning the bowl haha!

Kye adores sweet potatoes and often eats them baked from the microwave. I like to make the fries as a nice variety to the same old thing and he enjoys them too. I wouldn't say he likes them more or less than the baked version but Zach said he liked them in the fry version so I guess that's a plus in that direction!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Great blog you have hhere